SymbOS on the Amstrad CPC 6128 – Part One
SymbOS is a GUI operating system available for the Amstrad CPC, PCW and the MSX range of computers. There are 2 ways to run SymbOS on the CPC : Floppy disk or ROM. I decided to go down the ROM route.
If you want to use EPROMS, you need the following hardware.
- ROM board/box
- 4 * 27(C)128 EPROMS
When you turn the CPC on, you get the following screen.
To start SymbOS, you type in |SYM or |SYMBOS. The OS starts up in about 2 seconds, then you are presented with the desktop – doesn’t it look familiar.
Pressing the Start button present this familiar menu.
In part two of this article, I will be putting applications onto 3″ and 3.5″ disks. Hopefully I will be running some video and playing some music. I will also take a video of SymbOS running. I may even be able to get my Dk’tronics mouse interface working!
- Invasion of the Zombie Monsters
- Sabre Wulf remake released.
- Jamie’s Amstrad PCW 8256 Video
- How to install PARADOS into the Amstrad DDI-1 disk interface.
- Amstrad CPC464 upgraded to a CPC6128 (How to)
- Dizzy Collection – 5 Game Packs for the Amstrad CPC
- Custom Amstrad 464 and 6128 plus & GX4000 cartridge
- Retro Computers YouTube Channel
- Keep calm and…
- Classic Computers In Only Fools And Horses Episodes