Old and new, side by side.
Here are probably 2 of the most important computers of all time – The Macbook pro and the BBC Micro (Well, the BBC is definitely a very important machine!)
You can click on the photo above to see a higher resolution copy on Flickr.
Here are the specifications of the 2 machines.
BBC Model B
- CPU : MOS Technologies 6502 at 2Mhz
- RAM : 32k as standard (This one has 52k RAM)
- Storage : Either audio casette or disk. This one has a SD Card reader acting as a disk drive
- Graphics : 640×256 with 8 colours + teletext (Mode 7)
- OS : OS 1.20 and Watford Electronics DDFS 1.50
Apple MacBook Pro
- CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.26Ghz
- RAM : 2GB DDR3
- Storage : 160Gb SATA
- Graphics : 1280×800 16 Million colours
- OS : Apple OS X 10.6.3
The BBC is the older machine, but it boots to its OS in under a second. If only modern Macs and PCs would be as quick.
- Photos from Revival, Wolverhampton, May 2013
- Blanka playing Street Figher 2 as Blanka
- Invasion of the Zombie Monsters
- Cambridge move for Suffolk computing history museum
- Tatung Einstein TC01 – Did you have one?
- Sabre Wulf remake released.
- Usborne Computer Books
- The sound of the dialup, pictured
- 8 bit chip tune from one line of code on Linux
- HxC Floppy Emulator Firmware v184.108.40.206