Posts tagged peterborough
The first document shows a letter written by the Mayor of Peterborough, R. E. Burke.
The next letter was written by the Bishop of Peterborough, William Petriburg.
Any the following article was taken from the Peterborough Evening Telegraph on August 24th 1985
We have a fully working Domesday System at The Centre for Computing History, so come down and find your city, town or village on the original system from 1985!
Wikipedia says the following about The Domesday Project.
The BBC Domesday Project was a partnership between Acorn Computers Ltd, Philips, Logica and the BBC (with some funding from the European Commission’s ESPRIT programme) to mark the 900th anniversary of the original Domesday Book, an 11th century census of England. It is frequently cited as an example of digital obsolescence on account of the physical medium used for data storage.
This new multimedia edition of Domesday was compiled between 1984 and 1986 and published in 1986. It included a new ‘survey’ of the United Kingdom, in which people, mostly school children, wrote about geography, history or social issues in their local area or just about their daily lives. This was linked with maps, and many colour photos, statistical data, video and ‘virtual walks’. Over 1 million people participated in the project. The project also incorporated professionally-prepared video footage, virtual reality tours of major landmarks and other prepared datasets such as the 1981 census.
Why, oh why do people insist on having a chat in the middle of the street or in the middle of an isle in a shop.
They know people are trying to get past, but they dont care. They continue chatting.
You even say ‘excuse me’ but they still dont move! And 9 times out of 10 its old people.
Maybe its just a Peterborough thing…
I got annoyed with a woman in an electric wheelchair again today. I was going into the ‘shopping mecca’ in Peterborough known as Queensgate at lunch today following the said electric wheelchair.
As she went through the door, she decided to just stop. Full whack on the breaks(Do they have breaks??!?!?). As as I was not paying 100% attention (due to my iPhone being on full whack playing some old mid 90s dance ‘anthems’) i walked into the wheelchair. Why did she stop, know one knows. Why did she stop in the door way, non one knows!
If I was to do that in my car, someone would have crashed into the back of me. I think all drivers of these wheelchairs need to do a driving test. Or have special ‘lanes’ in shopping centers.
Did she apologise, did she f**k….
As im not in a particularly good mood today, there are many things bugging me… I just wish Room 101 was real. Here is whats bugging me today. Most of this happened when I went into Peterborough this lunchtime.
- People who wear jackets in hot weather.
- People who don’t stop at zebra crossings.
- Electric wheelchairs who charge at you full pelt expecting you to move.
- “Would you like a catalog?” people who wonder the city center streets trying to get people to sign up
- People who stop you to ask you to sign up to donating money to charity. I can barely afford to feed my own family, let alone others!
- Too many Big Issue people in such a small place. I think Peterborough has more Big Issues sales people per square mile than any other town. Well, except from Cambridge I would guess.
- Why do Dell send a DVD copy of the server preparation CD when there’s not a DVD-Rom drive in the server.
- People who forget passwords every other day! You know who you are….
- People playing music on their mobile phones so everyone can hear. It sounds $hit, so turn it off!
- Chavs. No explanation needed….
Im sure I can add more rants as the day goes on.