Amstrad CPC Guides
Compatability with the Sinclair +3
Some of these guides will also apply to the Sinclair +3
How to attach a 3.5" 720kb disk drive to a Amstrad CPC6128
You can read an excellent guide on how to install a 3.5" drive on your CPC at cpcmania.com . I referenced this guide when I wanted to add a 3.5" drive to my CPC. Instead of using a PC PSU, I use a small power supply that came with a USB to IDE interface. These guides should also apply to the Sinclair +3 and the Tatung Einstein.
There are some pin out diagrams for the Amstrad CPC here - Pin_Out_Diagrams
How to write a .DSK file to a 3.5" disk in Windows.
You will need…
- A PC with a internal 3.5” floppy disk drive (A USB drive will not work)
- Windows 2000 or XP (I’ve not tried it with Vista or 7 yet)
- Some 720k DD floppy disks (The disks with just one hole)
- CPCDiskXP (Download from cpcmania.com)
- A CPC6128 with a 3.5” 720k drive attached.
- Install CPCDiskXP making sure you also install the FdInstall.exe package
- Start CPCDiskXP
- Click DSK File -> Disk.
- Click the Open button, and choose the DSK file you want to write to disk.
- Choose the Drive you want to write the disk image to.
- Most games will use DSK Side 1, Floppy Head 1.
- Press Write Disk. Now wait for the image to be written to disk. Press OK when done.
You can now use the disk in your CPC!
How to write a .DSK file from a 720Kb disk attached to a CPC6128 to 3” disc
You will need…
- A Amstrad CPC6128 with a 3.5” 720kb drive attached to the “Drive B” port
- A copy of DSK-CPC on 3” or 3.5” disk.
- Run dsk-cpc.bas from drive A or B
- Select option 1 – Select DSK File
- Select the DSK file on the 720kb disk
- Follow the instructions to write the disk